National Committee – Roles and Responsibilities
The committee looks after the affairs of the incorporated association and has statutory responsibilities under the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (and its associated Regulations) introduced on 26 November 2012. The Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 replaced the Associations Incorporation Act 1981.
Under the Act committee members must:
- Ensure an annual general meeting is held within five months of the end of the association’s financial year.
- Submit a financial statement that covers the full financial year to members at the annual general meeting.
- Appoint a new secretary within 14 days, if the position becomes vacant.
- Return all documents that belong to the incorporated association within 28 days of ceasing to be a committee member.
Members have a duty to act in the best interests of the incorporated association and not take advantage of their position. They must not make use of their position (or information acquired because of their position) to:
- Gain any financial benefit for themselves or any other person.
- Harm the association.
The PCA committee meets 4 times per year (including the AGM) to review processes and monitor performance against the strategic plan. There is currently a fundraising subcommittee in place in order to leverage the expertise of committee members, help to reduce the workload on paid staff, and reduce the need for employment of casual staff.
Membership of the committee is currently for a 3-year term and current committee members can re-nominate for a second 3-year period. PCA members can nominate themselves for election, or be nominated by other members. Formal requests for nomination are sent out via email to the entire PCA membership, prior to the Annual General Meeting which usually falls in April/May. Where there is more than one nomination for a committee position a ballot is held at the AGM.
Members of the Print Council of Australia Management Committee are expected to perform the following activities whilst on the management committee:
- Attend print related exhibitions in their area x 4 annually.
- Speak to student groups x 1 annually.
- Promote IMPRINT magazine to non-members and ensure PCA print collateral (e.g. membership forms, call for artist forms) are available through appropriate outlets in their areas.
- Promote PCA membership to key organisations, printmakers and educational institutions in their areas.
- Report to general manager on a quarterly basis.
- Attend committee meetings held in their home state or territory.
- Attend one meeting per annum outside their home state or territory (participation via dial-in conference call is acceptable)
- Assist the General Manager in developing projects, activities and events in their state/territory as the need arises.
- Assist where appropriate in the development of sponsorship and grant applications.
- Contribute to the Australia In Print pages of IMPRINT magazine in consultation with the Editor.
- Work with the General Manager and fellow state Committee Representatives to source venues in their state for annual Print Commission launches in September each year.