An exhibition of PCA Member artists’ books
In celebration of the Print Council of Australia’s 55th anniversary in 2021, we are pleased to invite our artist members to participate in BOOKISH, an exhibition devoted to the unique artform of artists’ books. This is an open invitation project and all PCA Member artists’ books will be accepted (subject to Terms and Conditions).
Works will be exhibited on the PCA website printcouncil.org.au and feature in a dedicated display at Sydney Contemporary 2021, in the PAPER section of the fair that focuses on contemporary works on paper. Works will be for sale, and any unsold works returned to the artist at the end of the exhibition period.
“An artist’s book is a medium of artistic expression that uses the form or function of ‘book’ as inspiration. It is the artistic initiative seen in the illustration, choice of materials, creation process, layout and design that makes it an art object… With all sorts of ideas behind them, artists continue to challenge the idea, content and structure of the traditional book.” Anne Evenhaugan, Smithsonian Libraries and Archives blog – https://blog.library.si.edu/blog/2012/06/01/what-is-an-artists-book/#.YBdSTC1L2fX
HOW TO ENTER
- Read the Terms & Conditions, and pay the online Entry Fee above.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following files attached:
- 3 x high quality artwork images of the artist book entered, (jpeg format only) max 2 megabytes each.
- A Word document listing the artwork image details entered [artist name, artwork title, date, medium, dimensions, edition (if applicable) size (height x width x depth cm)] and the retail price for the work. Please note that PCA charges GST and 30% commission on sales. If you prefer not to sell your work, indicate Not For Sale.
- An Artist Statement about the artists’ book entered (max 100 words)
- An artist CV in PDF or Word format (maximum 2 pages)
- Applicants must email this information and pay the entry fee to be included in BOOKISH by 15 July 2021, 5pm.
- All artworks entered must be received in PCA PO Box or delivered to the office by 23 July, 2021. If delivering please email Marguerite Brown – email@example.com to arrange a time as the office is attended part-time.
POST ARTWORKS TO: Marguerite Brown, General Manager
PCA, PO BOX 2949, FITZROY, VICTORIA, 3065, AUSTRALIA
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Each entry must be an original work made by the artist(s) in the 24 months prior to the closing date for entries. If the artist has been assisted by technicians or writers, this detail must be identified in the application material submitted with the entry.
- There is no theme for BOOKISH.
- Artists may submit one artist book.
- This exhibition is open current financial PCA Members only, who reside in Australia, or who have an Australian postal address for return of the artwork due to postal fees and restrictions on international parcels. The PCA welcomes new members, you can join as a member via this website at the Join/Renew menu tab above.
- Works must not exceed 27cm in any given dimension and be no larger than 13cm deep. This size restriction is to allow works to be return posted via Australia Post parcel post. Weight must not exceed 1kg.
- Entry fee is $45 (including GST) per work. Entry fee is non-refundable and covers the cost of project administration, transport costs and return postage of unsold artist books to the artists.
- Any application not accompanied by the appropriate entry fee will be ineligible.
- Payment may be made securely online (preferred) or via credit card over the phone to the PCA Office (03 9416 0150)
9. Works will be available for sale on the PCA website, and at Sydney Contemporary. PCA will take a 30% sales commission on sale of the work. All unsold works will be posted back to the artist, or may be collected from the PCA Office
10. Artists must list the retail price of their work including 30% commission and GST.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
11. Final decisions about the appropriate means of display lay with the PCA. The PCA will endeavour to display works according to the entrant’s instructions, however no guarantee is given that the entrant’s instructions will be complied with.
12. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there may be the possibility of disruptions to the project that are unforeseeable. The entrant acknowledges this may impact upon the exhibition project and return delivery of artworks.
Delivery / Postage / Insurance
13. Works must posted to the PCA PO Box 2949 Fitzroy VIC 3065 by the 23rd July 2021.
14. While all due care and consideration will be taken when handling the entrant’s artworks, the Print Council of Australia does not accept liability for any loss or damage that occurs to works while they are in transit, exhibition, or held in the PCA office. The entrant acknowledges and accepts this risk.
15. The PCA reserves the right to refuse display of any entry that does not meet the requirements outlined in these Terms and Conditions, or any work it deems to be unacceptable for exhibition.
16. In completing the entry form and paying the entry fee the entrant agrees to these Terms & Conditions.
Key dates 2021
01/03/21 – Entries open
15/07/21 – Entries close
23/7/21 – All entered works must be received in PCA PO Box address or delivered to office.
10/08/21 – BOOKISH exhibition launched online at printcouncil.org.au with works for sale.
09/09/21 – 12/09/21 – BOOKISH exhibition featured at PAPER 2021, Sydney Contemporary art fair
01/10/21 – Unsold entries posted back to exhibiting artists.
Bridget Hillebrand at work in her studio making an artist book.